Toolbox Talk – Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls
This month’s safety focus and Toolbox Talk on “Preventing Slips, Trips & Falls” continues the theme of employers and employees working together to make the workplace a safer, more productive and enjoyable environment.
Why focus on “Slips, Trips, Falls”?
- Last month our TBT focused on Manual Handling, this is the major source of injury across all Australian workplaces accounting for a staggering 42%of all recorded incidents.
The second highest cause of workplace injuries is as a result of Slips, Trips or Falls, these rack up almost a quarter (22.4%) of all injuries recorded in Australian workplaces, (SafeWork Australia, 2014).
- These two mechanisms of injury (Manual Handling & Slip, Trip & Falls) account for 2 out of every 3 (66%) injuries sustained by Australian workers.
As a result they are a constant area of focus for Government bodies such as WorkSafe & WorkCover WA and therefore it is important that employers can demonstrateto these bodies that they have taken the appropriate steps to identify and address these hazards in their workplace.
- Injuries from Slips Trips & Fallsare preventable and each & every one of us can make a difference.
TBT Delivery Tips
- Personalise the message by drawing on the individual responsibility to keep your work area clean and tidy.
- Make the connection that if everyone in the workplace was to follow the simple steps outlined in this month’s TBT, then the overall safety of their workplace will improve.
- Remind participants that Poor Housekeeping is the primary source of all Slip, Trip & Fallhazards in the workplace.
- This month’s TBT is designed to demonstrate steps they can take to improve the level of Housekeeping in their work area.
- The TBT provides them with personal actions that they can undertake to help reduce the risk of themselves or their co-workers suffering an injury from a slip, trip or fall.